The featured image for this blog post is the present Gehenna, formerly the trash heap where the trash was burned outside of Jerusalem. The spiritual “New Jerusalem” is the Body of Christ with “hell” being those outside of the fellowship. Of course since the gentiles were grafted in to Israel, they are included in the plan of salvation. The only difference is they don’t know their true identity; of course as sad as it is, many in the church don’t know either; this is why they keep waiting for the physical “second coming”.
It has been 3 ½ years since I came to the knowledge of the truth of preterism. One reason that I can be sure of its truth is that I came to the conclusion on my own after reading the Book of Revelation about 20 times through 2013. It wasn’t until after I came to the conclusion that I even heard the term preterism and begin to make one preterist friend after the other.
In fact I even asked myself, “what if the Second Coming already happened?” That’s when the revelation hit me that I was living in two kingdoms: the invisible spiritual kingdom of the Christ and the man made political kingdom of the world that most people are too focused on. Sadly I believe there are too many Christians that are too distracted by this kingdom to even be aware of what God is doing in this world.
The following are some of the best reasons that I can come up with as to how to defend my faith when it comes to this exciting new worldview:
- The patriarchs of the Old Testament waited on the Lord for anywhere from 40 to 100 years. Why is the church still waiting for the Lord after 2000 years?
- The second coming is and rapture theories are based on the premise that there of the 70 weeks mentioned in the book of Daniel, a 70th and final week is off floating out there somewhere after the first 69 passed like clockwork. Keep in mind we have a God or order too.
- There is nothing in the Bible that speaks of a physical kingdom of Christ. Even Jesus’s Apostles expected a Him to set up a political Kingdom. The Lord is spiritual and one must be “born again” to see the kingdom all around them; that is to say the kingdom of God at work in their lives and knowing their true identity in Christ as opposed to their identity in the world.
- Jesus said the people of His generation will not taste death until they saw these things.
- The word parousia which is where the idea for the second coming comes from was in reference to judgement on Jerusalem which took place in AD 70. This is supported by the definition of the word in the Strong’s Concordance.
As a bonus, many atheists and agnostics (who know the the bible better than most religious people) even cite that preterism is the only theology that makes any sense to them and is the most logical.
I might add that when I see preterists and futurists debate on social media, the futurists always lose. That just shows how much more rational the subject of preterism is. After all, we serve a God of order.
Christians, like the rest of the world, are always looking for a political leader to represent them. This is why we have government if you read the Book of Samuel where the people ask for a king. One of the biggest prophecies of the Old Testament is about the temple being build a third time. This is impossible because a Mosque sits on the sit of the first two temples.
Also God said His spirit would not dwell in a house made with human hands. The number 3 marks completion. Jesus said His temple would be rebuilt in three days. The third temple is the invisible kingdom of the Christ that only true believers can see.
Jesus is not coming back because He never left. His Body is still here.